35 Blairgowrie Road. Cardonald Glasgow G52 2TW
I am a successful and experienced leader with a track record in delivering success. I am a strategic thinker who can devise and deliver business plans and ensure alignment of goals and objectives to deliver a vision. I am an excellent communicator who can formulate and drive vision and leadership to organisations and to external stakeholders. I am a sought after public speaker and have addressed conferences across the UK, Europe and in the USA. I have influenced policy and practice locally, nationally and internationally.
Areas of Expertise and Competency
Leadership, Service Development, Strategy, Local and National Policy Development, Project Planning and Delivery, Campaigns, Social Media, Public Speaking, Internet safety, Anti-Bullying, Managing Challenging Behaviour, Trauma-informed Care, Product and Resource Development.
Director Orbis Training and Consultancy Ltd. Jan 2018 onwards
Offer a range of Training and Consultancy Services. Supporting schools and local authorities to develop practice and policy on anti-bullying, behaviour management, equality and diversity and trauma-informed approaches.
University of Strathclyde Centre for Excellence for Looked After Children in Scotland. CELCIS. April –October 2018 (Part –time) International Projects Co-ordinator.
Project Managing International research and funding proposals
Head of Products, Projects and Development Care Visions Jan 2017 – Dec 2017 (redundancy) Key achievements
• Designed and delivered a business wide engagement process to create the organisational values statement
• Began the process for the Foster Care Service to become Sanctuary accredited (Trauma Informed model of care)
• Created a business model to enable a care leavers community to become a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO)
Director respectme Scotland’s anti-bullying Service Jan 2007 – Jan 2017
• Set up and delivered Scotland’s Anti-Bullying Service, from a proposal to an internationally recognised service, creating a new approach to anti-bullying in Scotland
• Led on the development of Scotland’s National Anti-Bullying Policy on two occasions (2011 and 2016). 32 Local Authorities in Scotland have anti-bullying polices in line with this document
• Undertook the largest research in bullying and online behaviour in Scotland to date
• Published in The International Journal of Youth Studies and presented this paper in the UK, Europe and in the USA
• Delivered award-winning campaigns on anti-bullying and online safety
• Researched and created a bespoke set of SERVQUAL Service Quality Indicators for the Service
Depute Service Manager NCH Scotland Oct 2003 – Jan 2007
• Led on the development of innovative practices in an alternative to secure service that did not use restrictive physical intervention. Qualified as Proact Scip r Uk Trainer
• Recruited a hub of foster carers across Ayrshire
Depute and Unit Manager Glasgow City Council 1999 – 2003
• Qualified Therapeutic Crisis Intervention Trainer
• Managed a number of residential units through periods of change and crisis
Senior and Residential Worker Glasgow City Council 1992 – 1999
• Worked in and with communities across Glasgow
• Delivered Glasgow’s first Throughcare drop-in group
I have worked directly on Respect for All, Scotland’s National Approach to Anti-Bullying. I have contributed directly to the National Guidance on Child Protection. I was the voluntary sector representative for the NHS Health Scotland National Indicators for Children and Young People’s Mental Health. I have contributed directly to Getting Our Priorities Right, The State of Children’s Rights in Scotland Report, Scotland’s Mental Health Strategy, Holding Safely and the Guidance on Safe and Responsible use of Mobile Technology in Schools and on Engaged and Included.
I have also written organisational Policies on Child protection, Workplace Bullying, Anti-Bullying, Equality and Diversity, Leadership, Children’s Rights and Participation and others.
I have given evidence to and briefed Cross Party Committees and written Ministerial Briefings as well as worked with colleagues in the media on policy and campaigns.
I have an award-winning Blog listed in the Top 20 Bullying Websites And Blogs on the Web – http://briandorbis.blogspot.co.uk/
• A member of the Scottish Government Relationships and Behaviour in Schools Advisory Group (SAGRABIS) 2014 – 2017
• Member of the Scottish Government Internet Safety Advisory Group 2009 – 2017
• Chair of Young Scotland in Mind 2007 – 2015
• Lay Member of General Teaching Council Adjudicating Panel 2012 -2015
• Board Member Together Scottish Alliance for Children’s Rights 2009 – 2013
MBA (Distinction) 2011 Glasgow Caledonian University
SVQ4 and Registered Managers Award 2006 NCH Scotland
HNC Social Care Langside College 1999